Cynthia Hetherington, MLS, MSM, CFE
Cynthia Hetherington has more than 20 years of experience in research, investigations and corporate intelligence. She is the founder of Hetherington Group, a consulting, publishing and training firm focusing on intelligence, security and investigations. Cynthia most recently was the leader of Aon Consulting's Corporate Strategic Intelligence group.
Cynthia applies her expertise in library science and information systems to provide clients with strategic insight into research and complex investigations. During her career, she has assisted a vast number of clients with Internet investigations related to employee theft and intellectual property loss. Cynthia has also applied her research skills while conducting online and database research to uncover well-hidden relations between fraudulent associates, their assets and secrets. She has experience overseeing international investigations for Fortune 500 companies and other organizations in the Middle East, Europe and Asia.
A widely-published author, Cynthia authored Business Background Investigations (2007) and the Manual to Online Public Records (2008), published by Facts on Demand Press. She is the publisher of Data2know.com: Internet & Online Intelligence Newsletter and has co-authored articles on steganography, computer forensics, Internet investigations and other security-focused monographs. She is also recognized for providing corporate security officials, military intelligence units, and federal, state and local agencies with training on online intelligence practices. In addition, Cynthia is an adjunct faculty member at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, where she teaches a program on cyber counterterrorism investigations.
- Conducted background investigations of multinational for-hire security forces operating in war zones as well as performed analysis of their activity and suitability for clients needs.
- Determined identity and provided additional data that resulted in the arrest of an employee accused of embezzling almost $1 million from a global organization. Research and analysis resulted in recovering $600,000 worth of recoverable assets.
- Located the assets of a family with ties spanning six countries for judgment collection by Israeli government.
- Removed a company's proprietary evidence from a competitor's computer. Filed declarations confirming the process.
- Association of Independent Information Professionals, President
- ASIS International, Economic Crime Committee, Board Member
- United States Professional Investigator Association, Board Member
- Institute of Corporate Forensic Professionals, Board Member
- New Jersey Association of Licensed Private Investigators, President
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, Information Technology Program, Board Member
- Past President, Alpha Lambda Honor Society
- New Jersey Institute of Technology, Master of Information Systems Management
- Rutgers University, Master of Library Science
- Montclair State College, B.A., Philosophy